Old St. Peters Church, Logan Street was founded in 1833 and burned in the Charleston Fire of 1861. St. John’s Church, Hanover Street was founded in 1839 on the East Side of Charleston. Both of these churches moved to West Ashley locations in the last 40 years. The other Founding Churches are Christ Church, Rutledge Avenue and St. Peter’s by the Sea in North Charleston. Together these Founding Churches make up a rich foundation for The Church of the Good Shepherd.
Under the leadership of the Very Rev. John Burwell, the parish had a renewed sense of vision and purpose for the West Ashley community and beyond. The Rev. Shay Gaillard is the current rector, taking over on January 1, 2007.
In recognition of all that God is doing in our midst, the people and vestry of the Church of St. Peter and St. John voted to change the name of the parish to The Church of the Good Shepherd, signaling a rebirth and renewal of this historic parish.